To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:34 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Website Directory Structure - Best Practice

Lea de Groot wrote:
* the page-name.some-technology, in implimentation. I tend to end all my pages in html no matter what I am using server side because a) it says 'webpage' and

Then it adds 5 unnecessary characters to the end of the URI that serve no real purpose. I don't like including the file extension on any URI at all and if it wasn't for the annoying IE caching bugs I've experienced when leaving extensions of images, CSS and JS (i.e. IE apparently won't cache the files at all), I wouldn't include those either.

It's also annoying when changing implementation. Like when I switched from blogger to WordPress. Blogger used static .html files and gave no way to configure links to be written without file extensions, even though I had MultiViews turned on. WordPress stores everything in the DB and has no file extensions in URIs.

I ended up having to use mod_rewrite to accept .html on the end of any article URI so that no existing links/bookmarks wouldn't break. It would have been much less hassle if blogger had let me turn off file extensions in the first place.

b) the technology for turning extensions off is flakey and

What's flaky about it? Apache MultiViews is the easiest way to not require file extensions for static files, with the added advantage of making content negotiation extremely easy to do.

I find putting a single page per directory inefficient in workflow - it has to work on both the developers and the users side!

Yes, I agree with that.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/