Vlad Alexander wrote:

> Nancy Johnson wrote:
> > I believe best practices are to have all images in
> > a directory entitled images
>
> Hi Nancy,
>
> I would not encourage this practice. There are two types of
> images on Web site - "site level" images (mostly used in page
> layout like logos, buttons, backgrounds, etc.) and "document
> level" images (images used by a given document). If you put
> all images into the "images" folder, it's like putting things
> into a black hole; things go it but never come out. The
> problem is just by looking at the files in the "images"
> folder, you have no idea which documents are referencing them
> so you are not sure if you can ever delete them.
>
> The best file system way to manage images that I found so far
> is to create folders with the ID of the document and then
> place all "document level" files like images and attachments
> (pdf, doc, etc.) into these folders. When you delete a
> document, you can then delete the folder associated with this
> document.

One technique I use is to put all background images in the same folder as the
css. I only use 'images' folders for actual content images. Ideally there won't
be any other sort.

Geoff.

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments