Thank you in advance for this question, I know it's probably stretching what WSG is here for.

What does targetnamespace do? Is it setting a default namespace for that schema?

Take for instance this example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#po1.xsd

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
       xmlns:po="http://www.example.com/PO1";
       targetNamespace="http://www.example.com/PO1";
       elementFormDefault="unqualified"
       attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

I would have thought that the default namespace was the first namespace listed, unprefixed (xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";) and then the second listed namespace, xmlns:po="http://www.example.com/PO1"; is referenced by the po: prefix, but then what does the targetNamespace do? What does it reference? What does it mean?

Kat