David,

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll do a demo for the client today, I'm sure he'll be blown away.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You may want to look at solutions like thickbox (http://jquery.com/ demo/thickbox/) which offers a very degradable way to open "faux" popups, or "floating divs", and also adds some nice animation in there too.

This way, if the browser has javascript support (and it's enabled) then what the user gets is quite a fancy alternative to standard to popups (and it'll definately keep the client happy) and it will degrade nicely to simply open a new site (in the same window if you choose) if the JS support isnt there.

There's also greybox (http://orangoo.com/labs/GreyBox/) which does a similar thing without the need for the jquery library.

I've spent a good couple of weeks developing a solution on the prototype library that combines thickbox with "lightbox" (http:// www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/) but its not yet ready for release as I havent fully stress tested it.

Cheers,

David.

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Problem: client wants (insists on having) popup windows.
Question: can they be made "OK" according to all canons of WSG? (ie served in a different/alternative manner for people, devices, etc. - leave aside the js argument, as that I have solved).