Aside from namespace issues, validation deals principally with well-formedness, as far as I'm aware.

If someone really believes the W3C is of no concern to people focused on building well-formed documents, they should tell us what definition of well-formed they are using. Otherwise this thread will quickly become a torrent of pointless opinion soup.

Regards,
Barney

Katrina wrote:
 Does the W3C validation mention
well-formedness? No.

But since the definition of valid includes well-formed, well-formed documents should not validate.

Please do not quote Wikipedia, when the W3C sets authoritative documentation.

The point with the Wikipedia was to show that it wasn't just me that interpreted the W3C documentation in that manner.

What do W3C say about well-formed, nothing I expect?

Since well-formed applies to their standards, quite a lot I would imagine.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-well-formed
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#wellformed

Kat