Jermayn

You might want to consider posting the question to the WA Online Services
Interest Group
http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/psmd/osig/osig.html
It is a very low traffic mailing list for WA public sector. A number of the
people involved in the development of the guidelines are on that list.

The State Government Web Site Guidelines do not mention opening links or
documents in new windows. If I remember correctly it was discussed by the
working group on version 2  of the guidelines and because there where two
quite different opposing views, it was left out of the guidelines.

You need to check section 3.12 which covers content in  pdf, word and other
non HTML formats.

You wrote:
I found a reference about html and pdf
copies as pdf is not accessible (word is)
I would disagree. I believe the pdf  and word issue dates back to 1999 or
so, when you needed to upgrade to the latest  and greatest of JAWS at
considerable cost to fully access pdfs. Things have changed in 8 years. Now
you can access pdfs with almost any screenreader (that is less than 8 years
old) and a free version of acrobat. For word documents you also need
software to open it and the most common, word costs.

--
Nick Cowie
http://nickcowie.com