On 5/10/07, David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(and its another initilism mislabelled as an acronym)

Actually, that's correct usage of acronym, in terms of both HTML
syntax and dictionary definition [1].  It just depends on how one
thinks of an acronym.

Incidentally, it it strikes me as somewhat silly to fuss about whether
to use an <acronym> or a <abbr> tag, when the two terms are
effectively synonymous, but I'd lean toward always using <abbr>, since
it's an umbrella term that can encompass acronyms, alphabetisms,
initiliasms, or whatever else you want to call them, as well as terms
that are simply being abbreviated.  Since the word "acronym" seems to
have more use internationally [2], that's one point in favor of
<acronym>, but again, if it's covered by <abbr>, why bother?  (Other
than IE 6, of course--by the way, thanks for that tip, Nick, I'll have
to give it a whirl.)

1.  http://m-w.com/dictionary/acronym
2.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature

Dan Dorman