Thanks John.

I found the errant "*/" and the footer is working as it should, so thanks
for that. I don't know where my brain is this afternoon - frozen up I think!

Would you mind explaining what the fixes actually are? If I give the anchor
(link) styles a width, I'm not clear how to do that and make it accurate.
Whatever I've tried has taken the bg colour out further than the navbar, and
hasn't made any difference to the jumping. And what would the code be for a
hasLayout issue? I haven't come across that before ...

- susie