On 23 May 2007, at 02:15:30, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
Although it might be important from an accessibility perspective that an unsighted user be able to say "the third one on that page" without having to count the preceding list items - hmm, now that's something to think about..

Not quite sure how they'd say "the third one" without actually having counted, though...am I missing something? Or do you mean in situations where a sighted user and a blind user discuss the page? If that's the concern, then *any* CSS that visually changes position of things on screen would be a problem (just thinking about sighted users saying "the X that comes before Y" not realising that X was absolutely positioned above Y, for instance)...which I'd say is an edge case anyway.

I'm assuming here that a screen reader imparts the additional information implied by the distinction between ol and ul, such as specifying "Three" rather than "Bullet". I haven't checked, but I believe that is the case from previous tests.

From that perspective, I was thinking in terms of the situation where a blind user, having heard the description of something they like, might find it easier to phone the company to place an order. If the screen reader said something like "List item: Three: blue sweater" instead of "List item: Bullet: blue sweater", then rather than the user having to count and remember that the blue one was the third item description they heard on that page, they would be able to tell the person taking the order that the thing they want is "the third one on the sweaters page". Sometimes people's interaction with web sites can lead to interaction with the rest of reality :-)

It seems to me possible that the use of an ordered, as opposed to an unordered, list might offer an additional affordance to a blind user. Of course, that's just speculation on my part - but it could be something worth checking out in user testing.

The next problem then arises when the oh-so-clever designer has abused CSS to make the seventh item appear in third place. I seem to recall a blind friend of mine bitching and whining (with excellent reason) about some similar usability nightmare in the past... something to do with being asked if he meant the one on the right or the left of the third row. It was impossible for him to determine what came from which row, or on what side it appeared, because the person on the phone saw the page with some too-clever-by-half CSS applied, and he just had SuperNova.

FWIW, that's a good reason not to hide the numbers on an ordered list just to make things look nice.

(And if anybody was wondering, blind people do have preferences in the colours they wear.)

Cheers,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons