From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nick Fitzsimons
Sent: 26 May 2007 18:53
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] semantic HTML for intro text

On 26 May 2007, at 18:04:38, Designer wrote:

> Presumably, <p title="introduction">  and <p id="introduction"> would
> do the trick also?

Using the "title" attribute means pointing-device-users would get a tooltip
saying "introduction" obscuring the text if they happened to have the cursor
hovering over that region. Not good usability, IMHO.

I occasionally come across sites that make extensive use of "title", and 99
times out of 100 it's more of an impediment than a help. Even the supposed
accessibility advantages are open to question:
<http://juicystudio.com/article/using-title-attribute.php>

I'd still vote for using a class, or an id if you can be certain it will
only appear once a page. If the visual distinction in the required design
actually does represent a semantically meaningful distinction between that
paragraph and the others, rather than just being window dressing, then a
way to <strong> is necessary.

Regards,

Nick.
--