Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
But there's then little point in communicating this fact to a list about Web Stanbdards, as you are clearly advocating something which is in breach of said standards.

Steady on, Nick. If he wasn't here you wouldn't be able to tell him this - it's exactly the right place for Lucien to be.

...and then later:
It's semantically meaningless as a fieldset is meant to contain a thematically related set of fields, not a thematically related set of arbitrary textual information.

Exactly.

Lucien: I understand you like the semantic idea of 'set' - but 'fields' are a pretty specific notion. If you like having tags describing 'a thing containing other things', that's a given with any block-level element in SGML - so don't worry about it, it's prety obvious to a deceased squirrel foetus that a div containing objects is containing objects, and that those objects could be described as 'the set of objects sharing that parent'. Back to fields however:

> 18. Computers.
>  a. one or more related characters treated as a unit and constituting
> part of a record, for purposes of input, processing, output, or
> storage by a computer: If the hours-worked field is blank or zero, the
> program does not write a check for that employee.
>  b. (in a punch card) any number of columns regularly used for
> recording the same information.

I lifted this off dictionary.com. It fails to mention that this is an attitude that reigns outside of computers and has long been established in paper-based bureaucracy - you fill in the fields of a form (i.e. 'What should I put in this field?'). Taking it out of that context is operating to standards of your own - perhaps fun as a one-person inside joke, but otherwise just baffling and needlessly convoluted.

Regards,
Barney