From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of John Faulds
Sent: 07 June 2007 23:00
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Use of PDFs - Accessibility issues

There was some discussion recently about how hard it is to create
accessible PDFs (ie very hard) but I would've thought the obvious reason

not to do it is that not everyone has a PDF reader installed so why
potentially cut off some of your content from certain users? If it's in

HTML at least everyone's going to be able to see it. Also, are handheld

users able to view PDFs? I would've thought not.

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:04:01 +1000, Nick Roper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> First of all, please let me know if this post is inappropriate for
this
> list. If so then please point me elsewhere.
>
> We have a client for whom we created a website some 7 years ago. The
> site has developed over the years, and now comprises approximately 140

> pages across a dozen or so categories. The customer is a
> hotel/leisure/golf resort in the UK and has two main types of site
> visitor:
>
> 1) Club members (approx 5000)
> 2) Non members that are looking for weekend breaks, golf venues,
wedding
> venues, dining, conference facilities etc.
>
> The current site uses 99.9% html for content, with a server-based CMS

> that we developed and put in place at the outset, and which is used to

> update the site several times a day with news of results, events, etc,

> etc.
>
> Anyway, to get to the point, the customer has now been advised by a
> marketing agency that the site should be reduced in size to approx 45

> key pages, and that the majority of content for things such as
> conference room specification and rates, bedroom specs and rates,
menus,
> events, golf rates, membership rates etc, should be made available in

> PDF form instead of the html pages that are on the current site.
>
> I am aware that recent versions of Adobe allow more accessible PDF
> content to be created, but I would be grateful for thoughts on the use

> of PDF content instead of html content. Just to confirm, the
> recommendation from the agency is to replace existing html content
with
> PDF version, not to provide PDFs as an additional alternative.
>
> I have researched articles on various sites, and the general advice
> seems to be that PDFs have their place when specific layout or
> functionality requires, but that these are generally considered to be

> fairly exceptional cases, such as legal forms that must be delivered
in
> an original format, or multi-columnar information that cannot be
> degraded to an acceptable single column layout.
>
> I know that the customer will quite possibly consider any
representation

--
Tyssen Design
www.tyssendesign.com.au