Hi all,

I'd written a print style sheet for a site I'd done  (
http://www.swin.edu.au/ads/ltshowcase/inspire/presentations.html  ),
but the feedback I got was that nobody knew it was there (unless they
printed the page).

So I hit google for some suggestions on how best to do this. This has
lead to more confusion.

One site I read suggested that print style sheets can confuse users
when what comes out of the printer differs significantly from what they
saw on the page. This is true in my case where I hide the navigation and
some background images. I also change the font and justification to
better suit print.

So do people here think it's a good idea to have a print style sheet
that differs from the screen style sheet?

In the end, I used some javascript to allow users to switch between two
style sheets on the screen. One is designed for the screen, the other
designed for print. This way, if they print the page, they get what they
see.

What do people think about this approach. (If you are unclear from my
description about how this works, just visit the page and toggle the
"print friendly view" link near the top of the page).

My approach has caused me a further problem:

Because I used a link to trigger the script, clicks get added to the
browsers history, when technically the user hasn't left the page. Any
suggestions for how to get around this? Should I have used a select
list?

Regards,

Lucien.

--

Lucien Stals
Multimedia/Web Developer

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
X-GWTYPE:USER
FN:Lucien Stals