Generally speaking, my advice would be to use print styles as part of
the main stylesheet setup (possibly but not necessarily a separate CSS
file)
By tying your print-friendly styles to a script of any kind, you are
forcing the user to find that link and be able to use it, in order to
gain the benefit. It does depend a lot on what the site looks like to
begin with, but try turning the question around, and asking yourself
what the user would gain by being able to print the site exactly as it
looks on the screen?

Regards,
Mike