On 28 Jun 2007, at 11:03 PM, Sunday John wrote:

The company logo is the image image and the representative of the company on the internet. Without the existience of the company the logo won't exist and without the branding the website wouldn't have come anyway!

The content should just be readable and not to dominate the site. I think readability is alot different from donimations of content. So, lets even looked at it from this angle "the company logo is part of the content" :)

True, to a point, but we're discussing searchability.

How can you search for a company when you don't know it exists? You search for the goods or services that you want - don't you?

Once you've found a company's site, then you know they exist, sure - but you wouldn't find them if the structure of their markup favoured searches on 'Billy Bob's Fab Shop'. You'd be searching on whatever it is that Billy Bob sells. That's why the page content is more important than the 'brand' - as far as SEs are concerned.

Remember, too, that if you feel the need, you can style the company name and/or tagline as big, bold and bright as you like - and still put it in a <p>, or even a <div>. Your <h1> could be 6px high and #ccc on #fff, but it still carries more semantic weight in the markup...