It's an interesting question.

I don't like titles, but when I got my business cards printed up for my
current job, I had them call me a "web developer" because I have the
skills you listed. (And since AJAX requires knowledge of Javascript and
XML, or some other transport format, then I'd say it falls into the
"developer" category.)

I specifically don't call myself a web designer because my design
skills are far short of what I would expect from a designer. (And I'm
talking about "designer" strictly in the context of visual/graphic
design.) I know my way around Fireworks, and I've even got a degree in
fine arts (sculpture) under my belt. But I've worked with designers, and
I know I'm not one.

Obviously many people in the web field wear different hats, and most of
us don't comfortably fit into a clean and clear definition of designer
or developer. I've done enough jobs where I did all the design work as
well. They would have been better, and more expensive, if there had been
a proper designer involved.

But I know, and like, the code cutting side of the web. So I call
myself a developer.

Lucien.

Lucien Stals
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm interested in the "front end" part of the Dutch group's name.
>
> We were having a discussion at work the other day about which skills
you
> should have to have in order to call yourself a "web developer".
>
> I just finished a project which required knowledge of the following:
>
> * HTML
> * CSS
> * Javascript
> * XML
> * Perl or PHP
> * SQL
>
> but what's the minimum set of skills we think someone should have to
> call themselves a web developer?
>
> You could make a case, I'm sure, for just HTML and CSS. You develop
> (non- interactive) web pages with HTML and CSS. Javascript is really
> programming language. Should AJAX be listed seperately?
>
> However, if that's enough to call yourself a web developer, what do
we
> call someone with all the skills above?

> ==
> The information contained in this email and any attachment is
confidential
> and
> may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is
intended only
> for
> the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient
of this
> email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this
email
> or
> any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify
> the
> sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC
does not
> represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.

> Before
> opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's
liability is
> limited to resupplying any email and attachments

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.