Tee asked

> So which emulators (simulators) are correct?

Which one of the 30+ mobile web browsers are you trying to emulate?

There are many different browsers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbrowser#Popular_mobile_browsers  and even
different versions of the same browser that render pages differently.

The only one I would give a good chance of emulating on a desktop almost
perfectly every time is Opera Mini, because how it works.  You request a
page, a proxy retrieves that page and then serves you some of the content it
believes will display correctly on your java midlet opera mini. As the proxy
server does all the work and the java midlet will run on most phones, PCs
and even embedded in webpages unchanged. You should always get the same
results.

Opera Mobile is rumoured to be about a version behind Opera Desktop. So in
theory the current Opera mobile renders like Opera 8 or 8.5? Of course some
things will be a little different, I have done minimal testing and Opera
Mobile and Opera do render similar.

Which version of Safari matches which of the 4 major releases of the S60
browser? Don't know have not been able to test, I don't own a Nokia.

Internet Explorer Mobile bears about as much resemblance to IE/Win as IE/Mac
does to IE/Win, they are quite different creatures. IEM I am using uses
different subset of XHTML and CSS, XHTML-MP and WCSS that the IE/Win. IEM
also has a few different versions, I upgraded my Windows Mobile 5 a few
months back and IEM went from unusable to as usable as Opera Mobile for me.

Personally other than Opera Mini, I don't think you have a hope of testing
in an emulator and getting the right result.

The bad news is you will need a heap of mobile devices, with a variety of
different versions of the same software to be able to test a website to
render is the most common browsers. Or build a very simple mobile version of
the site.

Nick

--
Nick Cowie