Stuart Foulstone wrote:
Computer screens may have steadily improved (and so has the research) but
human evolution doesn't change so fast that HCI research becomes outdated
in 13 years as you suggest.

Was the decision on default font size actually based on research, or was it just what they went with at the time? In any case, the main point is that the decision is old (consider Felix's research into increasing DPI), and unlikely to be changed.

Rob Kirton wrote:
> I realise that screen real estate  is precious, however I think we all
> agree this to be a very important feature.  To most users it is a moot
> point whether or mot these buttons perfrom text resizing or indeed
> page zoom.

Agreed, although I do think the 'fit to width' option (perhaps as default) is important, otherwise it won't appear to 'work'. I.e. the person increases the zoom, and has to scroll horizontally. without fit-to-width, this will happen on sites that use a liquid layout, or pixel based widths on smaller screens.

Kind regards,

-Alastair