This is probably one of those questions that divides the audience (no,
it doesn't involve brussel sprouts), but here goes:

As exponents of web standards, we all know that one of the bedrock
basics is that our code should validate -- both (x)html and css.
But we also know that IE(win) is something of a recalcitrant beast and
must occasionally be spanked into order with some hacks and/or
conditionally commented stylesheets. And sometimes the workarounds
required are non-valid CSS.

So, is it considered 'okay', in a web standards sense, to have a non-
valid "bug-fixes" stylesheet working alongside your perfect, pristine,
uiber-valid main stylesheet?

To give an example, if I were to have an IE-specific stylesheet with a
lot of stuff like filter: alpha(opacity=50) in it -- which, a quick
Google check informs me, does not validate -- would that be seen as a
breach of web standards?

Perhaps this whole issue is me getting too focused on the nitty gritty,
but I'm in the process of moving from 'old-school' to web standards and
am trying very hard to get it 'right'. This is just one of the goal
posts that I'd like to clearly identify.

Thanks.

--
Rick Lecoat