On 22/8/07 (20:15) Andrew said:

>I may be mistaken here, but I think the "gunk" can be dispensed with
>by using "Save For Web" rather than simply "Save" or "Save As".

I believe that a PNG's gamma information is retained in a Save For Web
operation -- certainly I've seen colour casts in PNGs that I've used in
web pages (eg. a flat hex colour in a PNG placed beside the same hex
colour specified in the CSS), the PNG having been saved for web in
Photoshop (I can't always be bothered going via ImageReady).
Other things such embedded icon information /are/ removed, however, and
can mean considerable savings in file size.

>Although it may be gunk on the web, this information is essential to
>achieving consistent high quality in print.

Indeed, primarily colour profiles.

--
Rick Lecoat