Hi Kepler,

Personally I think it is an accessibility issue to mix two languages on the
same page.

I am not sure about this, I don't find it an issue at all, due to my background it's actually a rather common thing to read/speak two different langagues in a single conversation/page. If you ever watch Bollywood movie, you will see that it's very common too. Heck! Even those Booker prize winners Indian writers have to insert a few Hindi here and there. Do French in Quebec do this?

UTF-8 makes it possible to have two totally different languages put on one page, and website no longer is a mono-language rule it all, based on this logic, I think one really can't argue it's an accessibiility issue if a website contains two languages in one page, as long as the nature of the site has this needs based on its culture and custom preferences.

I am just curious why you did that.

Well, I guess this is arguable if I really need it. I guess I don't need to but I have a good reason for doing it - I am redesigning my web design service site (+ blog), and I want to target a particular audiences that are both English/Chinese capable and comfortable with using both and have the preferences to give the business to one who is capable of both languages. To do this, I need to demonstrate that to them - it's just a matter how one go about doing it, and yes, serving one version for English and the other for Chinese is one way to go. However, say, in the home page and other pages I want to show blog entries that have English and Chinese articles in certain block, it makes more sense to have two languages in one page instead of two different pages specifically for English and Chinese.

There is also this possibility that a site needs two languages in one page, for instance, a site offers language learning.

If it is a requirement, you
can identify a particular block as being in a different language by using the lang attribute on that one block. Then use the lang attribute on the
html tag to identify the main language of the page (
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#changes-in-lang ) .

Thanks for the pointer. This no doubt is a good way.

I currently am working on a multilingual site myself. It is not live but you can see it at ( http://lafermerie.neighborwebmaster.com ). The links on the lower right allow you to switch between languages. I am using UTF-8 and
setting the lang attribute based on the currently selected language.

Wow!! Powered by Zencart! I know it's not ready for production environment, but did you check the Magento?

tee