> Better yet, since not everyone can see, lets require
> all publications to include a braille copy

Copyrighted publications in the US are copied to Braille for the most part
(with copyright holder's permission) by the Library of Congress.

> I want to visit the summit of mount everest... I suppose
> the people of tibet should install an escalator just so I
> can reach the top due to my less-then-perfect phisical
> status.

Mount Everest?! Please, get serious. If you're going to provide a
comparison, use something logical. Your comparison is akin to comparing an
apple to a hippopotamus. Not even close.

Let's instead compare the brick-n-mortar Target stores with the web site.
Are you against the law that requires access to their stores, ramps, parking
spots, wider doors, restroom aids, etc. Where is the line drawn? Why did
that law come to be? It is the result of the courts because businesses
didn't do it on their own and had to be pushed. The ADA spoke for a
minority.

Businesses are notorious for doing the very least that they can until the
law tells them otherwise. Notorious! It's all about numbers, money, and risk
management. I despise lawsuits, but this one is for the greater good, and as
has been proven in the past, necessary.

It's hard enough living with a disability without the ignorant, the selfish,
or the greedy making life harder. Target spent millions making their stores
accessible. To make the site accessible is so much less. So much easier for
them. And yet, left to command themselves, they did nothing. In fact, once
asked to correct the issues the first time all they did was complain, try to
justify their crappy site, and took little to no action.

Choice? Cut off your legs and see how limited choice gets. The web is easy
access for lots of people who have certain difficulties, even with full ADA
compliance in a physical location. My cousin was a quadriplegic and she
hardly went anywhere because it was a huge hassle doing anything. Give her a
pointed stick, put it in her mouth, and place a computer in front of her,
though, and she was free to roam and happy as a lark. She literally drooled
over the experience! I can't see how any business or site can justify the
failure to remove the barriers that would have blocked her access.

I better stop now.

Mike Cherim