I agree with you Dave,

Google is not about to ban you, however if this is used in combination with other known black hat tactics, then you will.

Google will check your CSS but once again, if you are using this technique to excess, then you should be worried.

There was talk via a different email thread, and someone raised the same SEO concern, people have been using hidden and the CSS off-page described regularly for accessibility, and there haven't been any stories to date on those using these techniques legitimately and been banned by a search engine.

William

Dave Woods wrote:
As far as I'm aware, it's not something that Google will automatically
ban a site for anyway but if it is being used for black hat tactics
then the site is open to being reported by anyone (possibly a
competitor) which Google may then do a manual check of and ban the
site if they deem the site to be breaking their terms of use.

If display: none; is being used for a legitimate purpose then I
wouldn't worry about it but as I mentioned earlier, it can have a
negative impact on accessibility so as with most things, it depends
how and why you're using this method.

Thanks
Dave
http://www.dave-woods.co.uk