Google is not about to ban you, however if this is used in combination with other known black hat tactics, then you will.

Google will check your CSS but once again, if you are using this technique to excess, then you should be worried.

There was talk via a different email thread, and someone raised the same SEO concern, people have been using hidden and the CSS off-page described regularly for accessibility, and there haven't been any stories to date on those using these techniques legitimately and been banned by a search engine.

I don't see any evidence in the server logs here of googlebot even looking at css files (despite thousands of hits by googlebot on pages that return html), however I am sure that if someone complained or someone at google comes across suspicious or "spammy" data they will manually check on it.

So I don't think legitimate use would be a problem.