Hello James,
Maybe you can do this:

hope this can help you.

"Likely, James A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:     Best way to clear a float
Hello,
  I am curious to see how others clear floats.
  Here is the problem. Div one and two float left and take 50% of the screen.
Content is to go below the two floats.
  In the past I would use:
  As this seemed to be the only method to make the clear work in IE. I am
curious to see how others do this and if you are doing it with out using the
  What method are you using to make this work in IE?
  Thanks
  Jamie

best regards,

Gage Batubara