  From: Thierry Koblentz
  To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
  Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:55 PM
  Subject: RE: [WSG] <INS> and <DEL> in lists

  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thomas
Thomassen
  Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:44 AM
  To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
  Subject: [WSG] <INS> and <DEL> in lists

  I was working on some examples for the use of <del> and <ins>.
http://www.thomthom.net/blog/2008/03/document-history-viewer-making-use-of-del-and-ins/

  As I was working on this I wanted to mark up a list where items had been
added and removed. That's when I realised that you can't wrap up <li> <dt> or
items as their direct child.

  The <del> and <ins> then have to be wrapped inside the list item.

  <ul>

    <li>Item 1</li>

    <li>Item 3</li>

  </ul>

  When I hid the <del> using display: hidden; the list would render something
like this:

  * Item 1

  *

  * Item 3

  Because I could wrap up the entire list item, the bullet point would still
remain.

  To me it appears illogical to not wrap the <del> or <ins> around the list
items when you add and remove items to the list. I'm guessing it's a case where
every scenario wasn't accounted for when the specifications was written. (Yes,
I know that I could add an extra class to the list item that I wanted to hide,
but it's not the point. It shouldn't be necessary.)

  However, when this scenario presents itself I see it as fine to break the
specification and mark it up like this:

  <ul>

    <li>Item 1</li>

    <li>Item 3</li>

  </ul>

  This seem to render exactly as I expect it to do in every browser I've tested.

  * Item 1

  * Item 3

  I posted a comment about it in the W3C public HTML discussion group, hoping
it'd be picked up and amend HTML5's specification to allow this. However,
there's yet been any response. Is there any other place I could air this issue
in hope of it getting heards by the authors of the next HTML specs?

  I don't see a problem with the specs [1]. These elements are supposed to be
used to give information about changes; imho, "removing" an element does not
convey that type of  information.

  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.4

  --

  Regards,