Using some unobstrusive js effects much the same (and or better) can be made
without flash

http://simonwillison.net/static/2008/xtech/

which advises making a standard site that functions with basic html and
present it with css, and then add additional functionality

not my own work but an example of the what I am talking about
http://interiors.davroc.co.uk/