HTH wrote:
>...server has to do content negotiation in order to send
>text/html with one doctype (HTML or XHTML 1.0) to IE users and
>application/xhtml+xml/XHTML 1.1 to everyone else. That means
>you're generating two copies of all of your content
Assuming your are not writing static pages, you only need to generate one copy
of content in XHTML 1.1 format and then serve it as any version of HTML as you
like.

HTH wrote:
> Furthermore, content negotiation itself is some work to
> get done correctly
At most, maybe 10 lines of code. Please see:
http://xhtml.com/en/content-negotiation/

Simon wrote:
>Does anyone use XHTML 1.1 and does it provide any benefits?
The benefits are on the content production side. If you author your content in
XHTML, you can parse it with an off-the-shelf XML parser and make modifications
to your content en-masse. This gives you control over your content.

Regards,
-Vlad
http://xstandard.com
XStandard XHTML (Strict or 1.1) WYSIWYG Editor