On 3 Jun 2008, at 12:55, Darren West wrote:

I do feel this is all rather subjective and depends on what you're
building, that is until you consider SEO; which I feel flies in the
face of Web Standards

I agree that much of this stuff is, inevitably, subjective. Web standards gives us a good framework to work to, but within that there are always numerous ways to skin the same cat (yes, it's a very unlucky cat).

Re. SEO, I think that it can work just fine alongside web standards -- in moderation; as soon as you get too SEO-crazed you risk starting to erode the web standards 'purity' (if that doesn't sound too fascist) in order to accommodate some pro-Google trick or another.

The root of Google's webmaster guidelines can be summarised as "just create your page for humans to read without difficulty and don't obsess about trying to manipulate our search engine", and really that's not so far from web standards, is it?

--
Rick Lecoat