Hi Brad,
I don't have any test data that shows this, however, below are a two
articles from Digital Web Magazine that mention the topic.
I'm also fairly sure that AGIMO has some research on the topic but I
couldn't find it this afternoon.
You could also check out the Vision Australia website
(http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/).

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/accessible_by_design/
Avoid using links that create a new browser window. If you do use them,
warn users.  Users may not be aware of the shift in their system's
focus.  It may disorient or confuse them.  This is also a usability
issue since users can't use the Back button to navigate back and revisit
pages.  It's easy to accidentally close the wrong window and lose what
you want to access.  Add a text warning message or place a small icon
(with a warning in the ALT attribute) before links that will spawn a new
window.

Avoid "pop-up" windows, when possible.  This has problems similar to
creating a new window, but also has JavaScript complications.  Access to
the "pop-up" should be device independent.  More importantly, make the
content in the "pop-up" accessible if JavaScript is turned off.

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/designer_user_partnership/
The other area designers overstep is in controlling the user
environment. The Web behaves in ways that are predictable to users. For
example, when a user clicks a link, the browser requests the page from
the Web server, the Web server sends the page to the browser, and the
Web browser renders the page. Sometimes designers get involved in this
transaction by moving the cursor directly to the search input field or
opening links in a new window. We, as designers, use these methods
because we want to be helpful. We assume that most users will want to
use the search feature on arrival; to make things easier, we put the
cursor in the search input field. We assume that most users will want to
keep in contact with our site while exploring other sites; to make
things easier, we open external links in a new window.

But sometimes these helpful interventions wind up causing usability
problems because they violate expectations. People expect to begin
listening to or tabbing through a Web page from its beginning and will
be disoriented if the cursor focus is not at the top of the page. People
expect to use the "Back" button to retrace their navigation path and
will not be able to return to the originating site if it is not in the
window history. While these actions may be helpful to some, they will
create usability problems for others. Moving the cursor and opening a
new window are functions of the user environment and should be performed
by the user.

Cheers, Nate