From: "Andrew Maben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Browsers and Zooming

On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Al Sparber wrote:

an irrational fear of scrollbars

When a block of text exceeds the viewport width, that means
horizontal scrolling for *each line* - a royal PITA.

I kid of think you are speaking for yourself ;-)

If a right hand column falls outside the viewing area, it's not
unreasonable to assume that a significant number of users will not
bother to look.

Concern for either of these is scarcely "irrational fear" IMHO.

I think you have to first buy into someone else's usability tests. I don't. I am skeptical of many usability manifestos. That said, I'm not totally sure one way or another on this issue. What I am sure of is that I have not conducted conclusive testing, but the testing I have conducted leads me to believe, for now, that "fear of scrolling" is a fear that is far more prevalent among web developers than it is for the general population.

As for right columns falling outside the viewing area - whose viewing area? What size window? How many people have set a window size that will make your page or my page either fall outside the viewing area or squish to the point that other usability issues come to bear?

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com