I don't personally have a problem with having iphone in a URL as it is
generally used for applications that are very specific to the iphone.  Yes,
perhaps there should be versions for other devices (e.g. Nokia) but the
reality is that most developers won't bother making specific sites for these
users and instead use a generic mobile stylesheet.  The difference with the
iPhone is that it's the latest bandwagon in town and that the majority of
iPhone owners will use the internet on the phone (whereas the majority of
Nokia phone owners won't use the web browser on the phone).  It also has a
very specific style and so companies will try and cater to this (e.g. the
facebook web app was designed to look like a native iPhone application).

Of course, now there is the App store and the ability to run third party
applications, I'm sure a lot of these iPhone specific websites will
disappear as the developers move to offering a built in solution.

Ben

--
e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
w: http://bendodson.com/