Hi Mike

No worries, not interested in war, but I do understand.

I guess the one big answer about "why change" is that, over time, sites will
just stop working to their full efficiency. There is also the big one called
"security" (or lack of). I hope, but I don't think, that this fabled desktop
image would include FF3, Safari 3 or Opera 9.5 as the default browser :D even
IE7 gives me the odd grey hair still.

I can only think the organisations that can't upgrade  are those completely
welded to IE6 because their interfaces only work in that browser OR those that
are still using Windows 95/98/2000. If their IT setup is structured that way
well....they've got their own hole to dig out of.

I guess what I'm getting at is that for new clients or redevelopments, we can
do a lot to educate clients and customers and following on from that improve
our lot as developers -- maybe even hasten IE6's demise.

Thanks!
James