On 11 Aug 2008, at 11:48, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

a list could usually be said to be synonymous with a
'single column table' and conversely, a data table is a set of parallel
lists - they are both special cases of each other.

I think that Michael has hit the nail on the head here -- there is a blurry line between certain types of lists and tables. One could also argue that a definition list is a sort of simple table (2 column? tho DTs can have several definitions).

I would say that the nature of a table implies cross-referencing (ie. the rows and columns interrelate to provide the correct data), and I let this be my guide. If the columns and rows *don't* interrelate then it's just a collection of lists.

--
Rick Lecoat
www.sharkattack.co.uk