Brett Patterson wrote:
So, Gunlaug, in essence, (essence being the operative word), you do validate your site by using tidy? Correct? I mean if you trust tidy to correct your code and all the code that tidy puts out is, as you say, 99.9% effective then that is kinda like validating, right?

Pretty much so, although tidying is an active process while validating
is pretty passive.

<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_07.html>

If "my" Tidy gives up on my markup, then it's time to ask the validator.
In such cases I go back and forth between validating, tidying and
cross-browser checking until the problem is tidy, valid and solved.

May I add that I don't really trust any software - my own creations
included. So, when I'm really bored I attack 'em with all I've got and
then some. "My" Tidy has survived all my attacks quite well.

Always some weak spots that may be overcome by cross-checking and making
notes on what to look out for.
"My" Tidy disagrees with the validator on a few points - like MSIE
down-level conditional comments, and I haven't bothered fixing "my" Tidy
on these points since the ones I've encountered are so few and easy to
remember.

Otherwise I think Dave Raggett got it more or less right in the original...
<http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/>
...but, as I say in my article, I'm not impressed by what others have
done to Tidy later. Some releases/attachments are ok, while others are
crippled by someone's personal preferences.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no