tee wrote:
I am trying to optimize a site, though the file sizes of the overall images aren't so much of a problem but the http requests. So I am attempting to put 10 icons in one gif file, the individual icon size is merely 600b and the dimension is 18px by 12px.

I made a 18px by 150px to hold 10 icons vertically, that makes the size a mere 4kb, problem is, there is no width declared in the list element that the icon is declared as background image, so when I make the font size bigger, the 2nd icon in the vertically order see through; one more increasement, I can see the 3rd and half of the 4th icons. so I estimate I have to give a least 80px space in height to prevent this from happening, by doing so, the file size is double.

I guess this is alright as it reduces 9 http requests, but for other big images, I estimate I might have to make the height over 1500px to solve the problem that occurs when font size increases. I guess this is a twofold question: 1) How do you do to prevent the above issue from happening, if possible?; 2) Does this method really justify the reduces of http requests?

Thanks!

tee

If I remember rightly if you are able to save the image with a transparent background it keeps the file size lower because a transparent pixel takes less space than a pixel with colour information. You can put a coloured outline around the sprites themselves to avoid jagged edges in IE.

-Rob