On Nov 27, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

tee wrote:

Quote BIM: I don’t see that the W3c intention and the JAWS screen reader implementation are necessarily at odds; JAWS has a “duty” to keep users informed that they are in the same group, and this is one way of achieving it. Has a "duty" as being overly helpful that turns to absurdity and annoyance?

Absurdity only if you're not wise about the length/wording of your legend text.

Well, Patrick, this is obviously a subjective point of view and can easily turns to a petty argument, so I will just skip it :)

Annoyance...that's surely up to screenreader users to decide for themselves? Unless you've got feedback from actual screenreader users stating that it's annoying, it sounds a touch patronising as a sighted developer to call the feature "annoying".

Will one's background and culture influence how one views at an issue? When I was a kid, I routinely help walked an old wise blind man to park, shop and his friend's home. He taught me how to 'see' the surroundings around me; decades later I looked back, I realized he helped me developed my sensitivity and guided me see things in different ways that my sighted eyes wouldn't have seen.

Accessibility to me, is all about "people oriented" (with am eastern philoshopy touch) and common sense; "Mankind is the center of the universe way of 'People oriented' " is not my idea of accessibility. I studied Laozi (Tao De Jing) and Zhuangzi (the famous dream of the butterfly) long before I touched any western philosophical and design theories - therefor, in a nutshell, anything that is overly done, is un-natured thus creating conflict (annoyance) between people and the 'objects', despite the good intention.

Back to the "people oriented": Accessibility to me is about problem solving through design and user interface hence create a good user experience. Though I have never gotten any feedback from actual screenreader users and I honestly haven't gotten many interactions with blind people, but I speak to common sense and follow nature.

Common sense tells me that we human are highly adaptive; the creator gave us 5 senses: hearing, sight, taste, touch and smell. If we lose any one of the senses, another 4 will adapt, and develops even better, sharper, more sensitive' 'ability' that people who have 5 normal senses likely wouldn't have developed.

A good user interface is one that harmonize/reduces conflict between the 'software/hardware/machine' and the user that makes one feels comfortable, relax and ease of use, the same goes to a good design. As I gradually learning more about Accessibility guideline and have actually paid more attention to it, I feel I will have better chance to create more accessible sites using common sense than relying on dead theory and data through user study other shows me (note, I am not saying user study isn't important)

Does BIM a memebr here too? I am sorry, but I think his logic and reason are at fault.

Is it relevant to this discussion that Bim is actually a blind screenreader user herself?

Well, somewhat. But I still think her logic and reason are a bit at fault. I insist because I think she maybe only viewing the issue on the surface, that is, "People-oreiented" yet lack the basic knowledge of 'people' , and I am afraid as a blind person (no insulted intention here), her logic fell short for other blind people.

I have no doubt it is helpful to screen reader users for screen reader to implement read legend text on every label set, but if a screen reader makes it a Default, it is arrogant, lack of common sense, not helping at all but create conflict to its users and it's a Bad interface design.

Common sense tells me it maybe a bit intimidating for a blind person to use Screen reader the first few times; common sense also tells me unless that person also suffers other disability that affects his/her ability on memory, or maybe, with a rarely and extreme possibility that a Screen Reader that didn't implement 'read legend text on every label set' causes psychological traumatic effect to the user (should this be the case, he/she probably needs special medical treatment and use of Screen Reader is probably not recommended or not permitted by doctor). I believe, most Screen reader users are just like you and me, use a software base on the common knowledge on how things works and our intelligence to able to tell what's a page about based on the first few words or sentence.

Let me repeat: If we lose any one of the senses, another 4 will adapt, and develop even better, sharper, more sensitive' 'ability' that people who have 5 normal senses likely wouldn't have developed.

That being said, it's highly unlikely for a Screen Reader user to realize when a form begins and when a form ends when the screen reader read out the first label set. Make no mistake, I fully believe fieldset and legends are important elements and they must be used accordingly to help screen reader's user, but, I argue,

An annoyance is an annoyance whether the legend is one word or 10 words long. One word of legend text, if repeated 10 times to me over and over on every page I visit. It's an annoyance.

But is it an annoyance to somebody who can't actually see your form and has to rely on auditory cues to know where they are within the form?

that it makes no differences and help nothing to screen reader user for a short form that contains a few label sets like this:

<form action="">
      <input name="login[username]"  id="emailaddress" type="text"  />

     <input name="login[password]" type="password" id="psw" />

    <button class="login-btn" type="submit">Login</button>
</form>

In conclusion, what you are saying, and what BIM presumed and the way JAWs reads the legend text, seems to me, is a comon Western concept that: "you are guilty unless proven otherwise"– but in the case of accessibility, it is : "every Screen Reader user is 'at disadvantage, not bright (somewhat stupid?!), cannot focus, need extra overly done help". And vola! Following the logic that lacks the common sense, we make their user experience a hell!

tee