On Dec 23, 2008, at 7:06 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

On 22/12/08 20:55, Chris Kennon wrote:
Here a screen capture of the desired site layout and navigation styles:
<http://working.bushidodeep.com/dwd/ncfh/02/desired.png>

The drop downs appear above a flash element. And some reports of the
background color not
appearing Firefox have been reported. Would the list review the site,
offering CSS suggestions as needed?

<http://working.bushidodeep.com/dwd/ncfh/02/ncfh_template.html>

Like Henrik, I'm curious as to why a Flash object is being used, not a background image.

Their will be a flash presentation, the current object was for testing the dropdowns.

I suspect the drop downs aren't appearing above the Flash properly because its wmode is set to transparent not opaque.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15523

Thanks

A few other issues:

(1) What's your plan for keyboard accessibility of the navigation (or the items the navigation leads to)? At the moment, as I tab through the page, for large swathes of the tab order there is almost no visible focus.

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#navigation-mechanisms-focus-visible

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#keyboard-operation

Make sure there's a visible focus ring.

Will investigate

(2) In your CSS, ul#mainNav a sets a height in pixels for an anchor. This is highly unrealistic in a medium where you don't have good control over the font size. It causes the navigation items to overlap with font size increased merely two steps in Firefox.

Thanks

(3) The use of a background-image for the logo with the text positioned off-screen means that if the user enforces their own colors for increased legibility, the header _and its text_ will likely be invisible.

What image replacement techniques do you suggest to compensate for this issue?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis