Brett Patterson wrote:
If my site is visited in Firefox or Internet Explorer first, you can see that everything aligns perfectly.

Not if that browser is called "IE8", I'm afraid. IE8 agrees with
Opera10alpha.

http://ttcharriman.edu/TTCH07/iftprojects/brettpatterson/index.html

It's a designer-bug. Vertical position of the navigation relies entirely
on font size, which means it is all over the place in my browsers on
first load.

No two browsers calculate font size exactly the same before rendering,
so relying on "pixel-perfect" font size across browser-land is not a
good idea. Add in font resizing and other regular options in browsers,
and it gets a lot worse - for the whole layout.

You should rethink the positioning method, and forget about deviations
between browsers until you have stabilized it in one.

FWIW: there are no reliable ways to target Opera anymore. You can't even
know for sure if Opera is Opera.

Besides: one should only target/hack dead browsers, like IE7 and older.
Targeting/hacking live browsers like Opera, Firefox, Safari etc. for
real, will only create maintenance-problems as new versions arrive.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no