Dunno about your IE problems, but it doesn't work in firefox at all.

Inserting text from the clipboard has always been an issue between browsers,
and it was proven a while back that IE browsers could be exploited to steal
passwords etc that you copy to your clipboard by pasting the clipboard into
hidden regions and posting them back to a server.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is Microsofts attempt to keep the
poeple that found this exploit happy, or at least squash the bad press a
little bit.