michael.brocking...@bt.com wrote:

http://www.calcresult.com/reference/text/unicode-reference.html

The rendering of that page is slightly broken (at the moment) in IE6
 and IE7 in that the right-hand column overlaps some of the content.
What confused me though, was that IE8 insisted on rendering in 'compatibility mode' otherwise known as IE7 mode, even though the rendering is correct when I worked out how to force it into IE8 mode.

That page is clearly rendered in IE8 standard mode by default at my end.
Check internal settings in IE8 at your end, and make sure you don't mix
those two modes.

If in doubt, place this meta in page head...
...and the "Compatibility view" button will disappear in IE8.

The start <html> tag is missing in your page - you have <doctype>
directly followed by <head>.

regards
        Georg
--