I dont understand why anyone needs to hack anything. If you design to web
standards and use a logical structure/layout with good use of floats or
positioning, you can develop a page/layout that works in all browsers. It
usually takes a bit of tweaking but it can be done. I thought this group was
discussions of all things relating to standards and not support of people using
non-standard ways i.e. hacking/conditional comments.

>> It's far more reliable than CSS hacks, which may cause problems in
>> future browsers.
>
>I don't agree with that assessment, providing one work a bit on
>selecting the right CSS hack and don't just use any hack because it
>seems to work.

To my mind, that is the definition of a CSS hack - it is abuse of a bug that is
believed to only apply to the required browser(s)
There is almost never a direct correlation between the bug and the 'fix' that
is being applied.

Conditional comments aren't pretty, and generally I try to use CSS that does
not require different versions for different browsers, but if nothing else, a
conditional comment makes its purpose entirely clear - no chance of a future
editor tidying up and breaking the hack.

Mike