Alex wrote:

Blimey, you norwegians are a tad opinionated.

Nah, we just just like to be given a valid reason for changing our
minds. Comes with the territory - we never take the easy way out since
there isn't any in this country :-)

What does 'one' actually think 'one' is going to acheive in developing for modern browsers over the older ones?

Progress. It may be slow, but it is inevitable and sure better than nothing.

You make it sound like modern browsers have a host of features that are going to turn your website/s into an all dancing and singing awe inspiring experience that the older browser is just going to merely mimick after you have bodged it up with hacks and tweaks.

Oh, old browsers can't do much "dancing and singing" no matter what, so
'one' (or another) may as well stop trying so hard.

Yes, modern browsers do, obviously, provide a more complete and bug free
standard support platform. "Dancing and singing" is slowly edging its
way into standards too, so those who like that kind of stuff may have a
go at it - but of course only in the very latest and more experimental
browser versions...
<http://www.css3.info/four-new-w3c-modules/>
Broader support may be provided tomorrow, if there's a demand for it.

The majority of businesses use typically older versions of ie that are typically on XP builds and they 'typically' couldnt give a monkies or even have any knowledge about better or newer browsers.

Thanks for presenting "the (very well known) state of the business
world" - stagnation and regression everywhere. (No wonder the world as a
whole is in such a mess right now.)

Sorry, but this Norwegian can't see the point in being stuck in the past
just because someone else thinks that's "good enough".
Life's too short, and after having worked in front of these screens for
nearly thirty years I'm getting a bit bored and impatient.

Anyway...thought I would give Gunlaug something to chew on...(cheer up son).

Yummy :-)
Got more?

regards
        Georg