PS: I ended up with a string something like this... (ineffectual)

#left ul li item361 a:link span

If tha'ts the actual string you have two issues
1) Missing dot for .item361, so it's not combining with the li
2) you're only styling unvisited links
Also it sounds like your selector is losing a specificity war. Try debugging
with this:
#left ul .item361 a span { display: none !important; }
or
#left ul li.item361 a span { display: none !important; }
If it disappears, you're at least hitting the right element. Remove the
!important and if it reappears then it's a specificity issue.
Not entirely sure what you're trying to do so I'm not sure if that helps...
hope it does though :)
cheers,
Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not