So you think that there's an invisible part to the <p>aragraph that is
not outlined by the border? Kind of makes the border 1px approach to
development kind of useless in IE in the face of behavior like this,
don't you think? But I still don't think this idea quite matches up.
In the broken version, try clicking on the <ul> using the IE developer
tools element select. You end up selecting not the P tag, which you've
hypothesised is covering the UL. Instead you end up selecting the body
tag.