Joseph Taylor wrote:
> David,
>
> What form elements / what browsers do you mean?  I'm curious as I
haven't seen
> anyone make comments against "reset" stylesheets as of yet.

To reiterate David's point, I sent the below earlier (but due to server
updates many months ago my *true* email was changed, so it never made
it).

**********************

> Ben,
>
> On the spacing, the spaces you're fighting with are a combination of
> line-height, margin and padding.
>
> Each browser will implement their own defaults, so resetting the
> defaults with a "reset" stylesheet has become a popular technique.

Agreed, and there are various implementations out there that do the job,
such as:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2007/05/01/reset-reloaded/

although I personally find that to be slight overkill.

> For example, if you apply a line like this to your page:
>
> * {
>   margin: 0 !important;
>   padding: 0 !important;
>   }
>
> You should see everything collapse.
>
> Follow that with a:
>
> line-height: XXpx;
>
> and you should see the results you're looking for.

That's a very big negative, given the use of !important on the global
reset (* {}) such an approach cannot be recommended. Actually, unless
I'm mistaken (and it is possible), the global reset has some issues with
forms and various other elements that once set cannot be undone, and has
since fallen by the way. There are other methods of achieving similar
results however (see Eric Meyer's reset link above).  At the very least,
if the global reset is your preferred choice, do *not* use !important
with it or all your margins and paddings are going to disappear on all
elements, and you are in for a world of hurt. Maybe you're a masochist
and that isn't such a bad thing :-P.

HTH
Mark