Hi Luc,

I might suggest that 'double right arrow' is purely presentational and
not 'semantically' relevant, so it's not such a good idea to muddy up
the HTML with extraneous code. If you want to avoid using a background
image you could write your CSS in a 'progressive enhancement' fashion
by using the :after property on the list items. Of course browsers
that don't understand that will not display the arrows.

As regards the question what does a screen reader do? I'm afraid I've no idea.

I think this is best served with the image. One image in the CSS as
opposed to multiple character codes in the HTML.

Regards,
John Unsworth