Regarding how to present a poem, I've had to research this a few times and another option was to use definition lists. I hadn't discovered using the pre element. So I looked it up (below). It does seem like it could be a perfect solution... hmmm...

THE PRE ELEMENT
W3C info: Preformatted text: The PRE elementPreformats text with fixed- width font, preserves the given white-space and line-breaks, usually disables automatic word-wrapping. Used in the code examples on this page, for example:
<pre>
<ul>
<li> </li>
<li> </li>
<li> </li>
</ul>
</pre>
Like the BR element, though, the PRE element has been abused and used to force line breaks for text formatting when CSS and other elements can be used appropriately instead. Just like I mention about the BR element, use the PRE element judiciously.