On 7 Dec 2009, at 22:03, Jen Strickland wrote:

> Regarding how to present a poem, I've had to research this a few times and
> another option was to use definition lists.  I hadn't discovered using the
> pre element.  So I looked it up (below). It does seem like it could be a
> perfect solution... hmmm...

I'd limit it's use to situations where white space was really significant (for
example, a text in a book I have lurking around is about snakes, and formatted
in the shape of a snake).

> THE PRE ELEMENT
> W3C info: Preformatted text: The PRE elementPreformats text with fixed-width
> font, preserves the given white-space and line-breaks, usually disables
> automatic word-wrapping. Used in the code examples on this page, for example:
> <pre>
> <ul>

<!ELEMENT PRE - - (%inline;)* -(%pre.exclusion;) -- preformatted text -->

<ul> is not an inline element, so you can't do this.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk