I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Could you put together a quick example to illustrate.

Basically what overflow: hidden does is anything that doesn't fit into it's given container is hidden, basically meaning that it doesn't affect the height of it's container. This only works if the parent has a height set. If it doesn't, overflow: hidden has absolutely no effect.

Here is an example: http://www.arwebdesign.net/test2.html

In the first one, the container has a static height (500px) and no overflow. The text just streams right out of the container. In the second one, the container still has a static height, but has overflow: hidden. This time, the text just disappears. In the third one, the container has no height set, but has overflow: hidden. This time, the container's height stretches to accommodate it's contents. In the fourth one, the container has no height set and has no overflow. This functions exactly the same as the third. Overflow hidden had no effect on the third one without a height being set.

Hope that clarifies overflow: hidden a bit.

- Christian